Saturday, April 14, 2007

Oh no ... No cheese for me!

Was having a discussion with a few friends over lunch on Friday about the book “Who Moved My Cheese”. We were five of us, of whom 2 hadn’t read the book.

I personally love this book. I like the concept, the way the thoughts are put across. It has complicated ideas and suggestions for betterment, illustrated in a very simple manner.

One friend said, I just don’t understand what you like about that book, I don’t like it.
Another said, I read the book like a fairy-tale. Read it like a story but didn’t pay much attention to the principles explained in the book, that why I think I liked it.

But for me, the book provided a great insight into how change affects people and how they react to them. Its something that happens to everyone, but for someone to explain it, it’s a mighty task.
There is one simple sentence in that book that I have adopted as a part of my thinking process. This is something I try to apply in my life whenever possible. The sentence goes:
There are various junctures in life, when my heart prompts me to do something, which it knows is right - but then I hesitate and think if I should be doing it. That’s when I ask myself, “If I weren’t afraid, what would I do?” and …. then I know the answer :)

4 comments:

  1. hmm..is that some talisman of sorts.. have seen something similar from Gandhi in NCERT books..

    if i weren't afraid..i would frighten :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah right... u frighten :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I weren't afraid,
    I would limp
    As I would have leapt off sky scrapers

    If I weren't afraid,
    I would be singed
    As I would have flown to the Sun

    If I weren't afraid,
    I would be ugly
    As I would saved victims from every fire

    If I weren't afraid,
    I might not be me,
    What would be the Sun without his spots?


    PS: There is nothing to fear but fear itself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ prashanth - that's so beautiful :)
    Ideally, a line needs to be drawn... and in my case this sentence helps me do it!

    ReplyDelete