Monday, April 16, 2007

Musical Evening

Yesterday evening was a Musical Delight.. I went to a concert by Kadri Gopalnath with Kanyakumari accompanying him on the violin.
The very first note that he played on the saxophone had such an impact. Until then I had not heard anyone play the instrument live, I've only heard recorded versions of various songs. But then... it was a moment of complete awe... the echo effect produced and the impact it created... was just incredible.
Yesterday's event wasn't completely a classical one (though I'd have preferred it that way). Kadri played various bhajans and devotional songs and had the audience asking for more.
Smt.Kanyakumari played the perfect accompaniment. When each of the instruments is played on a different octave (for those who aren't too familiar with this term, it means playing one instrument at a higher pitch while the other is played at a lower one) the effect is magnificent!
How can I forget the percussionists :)
The Mridangam player was from Trichy and the Tabla player & the one playing the Morsing were from Bangalore. It was a great team effort!

When it comes to the sax for the Indian music - Kadri is the master!

1 comment:

  1. I so badly want to attend his concert when I go to India end of this year. Kadri is the best!

    ReplyDelete