Sunday, August 07, 2005

Annual day ....music class

Last Sunday, was the annual day in my music class. This day, every year, all the students of my music teacher have to perform on stage along with pakka vaadhyam. I was to sing one keerthanam and one devaranaama. The keerthanam was one, which I was confident of and had practised thoroughly, but the devaranama was one which was decided in the last minute after lots of rejections by my music teacher. This particular song is a toughie because it was a ragamalika with the ragams changing from hamsanandi – brindavani to shivaranjani. How much ever I practised... it just didn’t seem to have the effect which my teacher’s voice produced.
My cousin sis had come down for the weekend after a real long time, my orkut friends were having a meet… I wanted to be with these people. I was cribbing that everything had to happen on the same day. It was either all or none.
Anyway, the Sunday function went on really well..(ahem..despite of my singing) ;). The icing on the cake was the song which my teacher sang, it was so moving that many people had tears in their eyes when she finished. Its really rare to find such talent!
I was speaking to my teacher today, and she told me a very funny incident. After the function got over that day, one small kid came up to her and said very disappointedl.."aunty.. you sang better than me". Being very amused, my teacher told her "yes dear, if I didn’t, you wouldn’t come to me to learn" and she quickly added "when you grow up, you will sing better than me" to which the kid plainly replied.. "no..even then you will only sing better" and walked away! What innocence :)

No comments:

Post a Comment