Friday, August 21, 2009

Live Mocha

I always believe in learning something new at any point of time. It could be academic or just plain out of interest. My learning experience over the last couple of years includes music, more music, Internet/computer related, finance, photography related and the list thus goes on....

Current focus: New languages.
Tool: livemocha.com
This site helps you choose:
~The language you want to learn
~The level that you want to learn basic/intermediate/advanced
~Learn words, pronunciations and sentence formations
~and learn learn at your own pace.

The best feature according to me is review of submissions. After each lesson, you are given exercises to complete - in both pronunciations and writing skills. This gets reviewed by real people. If I want to learn Spanish and I am fluent in English, I would get my exercise reviewed by someone who knows Spanish... and I may help them learn English. So you learn and you also help others learn.
People reviewing my work have told me my pronunciation is good. I have no complaints :D
So much to learn and remember. For the past one week, I've been spending about 2 hours every night on this... and I realize 24 hours is just not enough for all that I want to do :)

Am so glad my brother told me about this site. People at home have been warned... around midnight, if they hear some blabbering in unknown languages... then know what it is :D

5 comments:

  1. hi!
    I reached one of your blogs while googling on raghuvamsha shudhambudhi.you did a pretty neat job there.are you a musician?
    anyways I want you to listen to this.
    song:yamaha nagari
    movie:choodalani vundi
    music:mani sharma
    http://www.harsamay.com/SongDetails/3036/Choodalani_Vundi.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds interesting! How many languages have you learned so far?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ vinod - Am an accountant by profession but musician at heart :)
    Yes have heard Yamaha Nagari. T'was quite a popular song that that time... and very well made

    @ ashok - Its has just been a couple of days. Am learning one foreign language beginner level and advanced level of one language that I am comfortable with, but want to be fluent in

    ReplyDelete
  4. you had taken sanskrit it 8th grade? one of my friends had.

    For the duration of the exam, all he was saying in every min of his free time was something related to grammar and tense in sanskrit.
    "Rama Rameh Ramo ...."

    He used to sound like a broken tape-recorder and make people's skin crawl.

    Don't tell me you now sound like him!! Now, do your neighbours look at you wierdly every time you step out? Is that the reason all dogs in your locality howling every night? :p

    "J'amplle .........."
    "Un Dos Tres ....."

    Nee Yenna solre?

    PS: Yenna Tamil sariyuma?

    ReplyDelete
  5. aha! you mean "raamah raamou raamaaha" yes I too did that :D
    as for the dogs in the locality, isn't that for you to comment on ~ 'lover of pets - hater of stray' :p

    ReplyDelete