Friday, May 08, 2009

Movie Time

Off late, I've been watching a lot of movies. Many movies on my 'to watch' list have now been struck off. I enjoyed watching most of these, but in a couple of cases... I thought the hype was a bit too much :)

Before Sunrise/Before Sunset:
I had watched Before Sunset a long time back and loved how the movie was so non-movie-like. Every action, every dialogue felt so real. It just takes you to a totally different world that is so beautiful. After watching Before Sunrise (the prequel - if I may call it) I think Sunset is better. But then, both movies are awwww so sweet.

The Visitor (2007):
The story of a professor, who travels to a conference to find a couple living in his home. the couple happen to be illegal immigrants. How this incident changes the professor's life is what the movie is about. The movie gets you thinking.... but I somehow felt there was something lacking in the movie. whatever said and done, the message is very powerful.

The Graduate (1967):
Dustin Hoffman, a graduate, returns home from school and only to be enticed by the wife of his father's business partner. Agreed, the movie has great acting and a very different storyline... but not too sure why the movie falls in the 'One of the greatest movies" category.

Mama Mia (2008):
Meryl Streep rocks in this musical :) Any ABBA fan would enjoy this movie. But what I loved the most were the locations - the Greek islands, the beaches, the chapel atop the hill and of course the Music.

mama mia, here I go again
my my, how can I resist you
mama mia, does it show again
my my, how much I've missed you

Rachel Getting Married (2008):
This is completely an off-beat movie. Many parts have been shot like it is a documentary. You think you've seen Anne Hathaway in Princess Diaries and Devil Wears Prada and thought she was cute? Watching her in this move, you'd hate her, because of the character she plays. That's the brilliance of her acting.
Anne plays a drug addict who returns from rehab for her sister's wedding. The relationship she has with her family and they with her and most importantly she has with herself is what the movie is about. Every part is played so perfectly - Anne, her dad, her sister and the man she is engaged to - very well made movie.

The Dark Knight (2008):
ha! what do I say about this movie, except that it is so brilliant. Don’t know why I missed this when it was showing in the theatres.

P.S. I love you (2007):
I know the title sounds cheesy, but the movie is a really nice one. Its about a husband, who through his letters to his wife, teaches her to live life. Hilary Swank. who plays the wife, receives the letters after her husband's death, when she really is in need of someone to guide her. Each letter perfectly timed, makes her smile, makes her laugh and makes her do things that she loves. They bring her back to life. Gerard Butler, who plays the husband makes the perfect match for Hilary in this movie. In case you are looking for something to warm up your heart, this is one movie to watch.

Man On Wire (2008):
You just have to watch this movie to understand what a masterpiece it is. No amount of description would suffice. Related link: If you want to fly

His Girl Friday (1940):
When Cary Grant comes to know that his ex-wife, Hildy is getting re-married, he tries every possible trick to get her to stay. The story is revolves around a newspaper office that is covering the story of a man accused of murdering a policeman. The movie just belongs to Rosalind Russell who plays Hildy in the movie. It is quick paced and has great comic-timing.

Atonement (2007):
Based on the novel by Ian McEwan, this movie is about a child who accuses her sister’s lover of a crime he did not commit. This is a life changing event for all of them. The surprise comes right at the end when you know the true story. Another movie that is very well made movie.

Thank You For Smoking (2005):
First it was No Reservations, then Dark Knight and now its Aaron Eckhart in this movie as well. Each role, completely different from the other, but played so brilliantly well. Nick, the protagonist works as the spokesman for a cigarette company. Though the public hates him, yet how he defends the company is what the story is about. He knows that smoking kills millions of people each year… It is a job that I do well and it pays my mortgage, thus I do it – is his answer to the question, why do you do it. A must watch for Aaron’s great performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment